Position on Protecting Transgender Youth
February 21, 2023
The Mormon Mental Health Association (MMHA) continues to follow and advocate for ethically sound and research-based practices regarding transgender youth, their right to legally identify, and their access to gender-affirming care including counseling services. Given the recent legislative moves throughout the United States and internationally, we find it saddening and frustrating but necessary to again state our position that it is well documented that gender-affirming care is medically necessary, reduces health risks, and is a basic human right that should not be denied. This continues to be the evidence despite any government or church that attempts to act as an authority barring this medically necessary and appropriate care between a patient and doctor.
We find it necessary to address this concern and voice our opinion as have many other professional organizations including: The World Professional Association for Transgender Health Care, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, American Counseling Association, American Medical Association, American Mental Health Counselors Association, American Psychiatric Association, American Psychological Association, National Association of Social Workers, American Academy of Nursing, and others.
Further Reading, referenced studies, and resources can be found here:
- “These findings largely do not support common concerns about retransitions. In supportive environments, gender diverse youth can retransition without experiencing rejection, distress, and regret”: (https://transreads.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/2022-10-11_6345de3da9307_RetransitioningTheexperiencesofyouthwhosociallytransitiongendersmorethanonce.pdf).
- FROM THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS POLICY STATEMENT, OCTOBER 01 2018, ENSURING COMPREHENSIVE CARE AND SUPPORT FOR TRANSGENDER AND GENDER-DIVERSE CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS: HTTPS://PUBLICATIONS.AAP.ORG/PEDIATRICS/ARTICLE/142/4/E20182162/37381/ENSURING-COMPREHENSIVE-CARE-AND-SUPPORT-FOR?AUTOLOGINCHECK=REDIRECTED
If you are in need of urgent support:
- Trans LifeLIne US (877) 565-8860
- The Trevor Project https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help/
- US Sucide and Crisis Line 988
April 3, 2017
The Mormon Mental Health Association (MMHA) is strongly opposed to the recent roll-back of protections for transgender students at public schools by the Departments of Education and Justice. The evidence of higher risks of suicide, bullying, and violence towards transgender individuals is well documented. We therefore strongly endorse protections for the rights of these youths to use facilities and public spaces that are consistent with their gender identity. Failing to do so will result in a higher likelihood of physical and emotional harm to these youth.
We regret that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has filed an amicus brief in favor of this roll-back and hope that the church will re-examine its position in light of the strong evidence of considerable harm that occurs when transgender youth are blocked from public spaces that are consistent with their gender identity.